Health and exercise experts, government representatives and consumer groups will meet in Sydney this Thursday, October 20 – World Osteoporosis Day – to set clear recommendations on calcium, vitamin D and exercise required to prevent brittle bones.
Osteoporosis Australia’s national Building Healthy Bones Throughout Life Summit will produce best practice recommendations for preventing osteoporosis, for distribution to GPs, allied health professionals and the community.
Sydney Swans midfielder Jude Bolton, who holds the AFL-record for most tackles in one match, understands the vital importance of bone strength. “AFL is predominantly a running sport but our training is very holistic to ensure our bodies are in the best shape on the playing field,” said Bolton. “As well as weight-bearing training, we focus very strongly on building core strength and increasing flexibility.”
Bolton said correct alignment and agility could greatly reduce the chance of injury on the field. “Building better bone strength is not just something sportspeople need to be aware of. People of all ages should understand the benefits of weight-bearing aerobic exercise, such as stair climbing, jumping and jogging, and resistance training.”
Summit Chair and Medical Director of Osteoporosis Australia, Professor Peter Ebeling says many Australians are not getting sufficient calcium, vitamin D or exercise required to build strong bones.
Just 10 per cent higher peak bone mass can delay the development of osteoporosis by 13 years and potentially reduce the risk of fracture by 50 per cent.
To learn more about this national Summit, high profile Australians, doctors and patients are available for interview [download media alerts below].
FULL MEDIA KIT AVAILABLE THURS, OCTOBER 20 from https://vivacommunications.com.au/wod2011/
MEDIA INFORMATION – INTERVIEWS, PHOTO & VISION OPPORTUNITIES
WHAT: Osteoporosis Australia’s Building Healthy Bones Throughout Life Summit
– Doorstop interviews, photos & vision opportunities available at Summit
– Further interviews also available to inter-State media throughout the day
WHERE: Le Montage, 38 Frazer Street, Lilyfield, Sydney
WHEN: 12:45pm for a strict 1:00pm start this Thursday, October 20
MEDIA CONTACTS: Kirsten Bruce / Mahsa Lotfizadeh, VIVA! Communications 0401 717 566 / 0422 180 674 / 02 9884 9011
- NATIONAL MEDIA ALERT LINE UP – World Osteoporosis Day 2011 – EMBARGOED OCT 20 2011
- NSW MEDIA ALERT & LINE UP – World Osteoporosis Day 2011 – EMBARGOED OCT 20 2011
- Ntl World Osteoporosis Day media release – EMBARGOED OCT 20 2011
- BACKGROUNDER – About osteoporosis osteopaenia – EMBARGOED OCT 18 2011
- PROFILE – Jude Bolton- EMBARGOED OCTOBER 20 2011
- PROFILE – Helen Dalley
- PROFILE – Professor Peter Ebeling – EMBARGOED OCTOBER 20 2011
- PROFILE – Prof Rob Daly
- PROFILE – Prof Michael Kimlin
- PROFILE – Prof Markus Seibel – EMBARGOED OCTOBER 20 2011
- PROFILE – AProf John Gullotta
- PROFILE – Professor Rebecca Mason – EMBARGOED OCTOBER 20 2011
- PROFILE – Clare Stretton – EMBARGOED OCTOBER 20 2011
- PROFILE – David and Janet Llewelyn – EMBARGOED OCTOBER 20 2011